Sunday, December 7, 2008

Don't read your Bible--Just kidding--But not really

Someday I intend to write a book telling people not to read their bibles. Somewhere in the book I'll say "Just kidding," but only after I've thoroughly made the point that the Bible never commands people to read their Bibles. It might be inferred from some places that reading the Bible is a good thing to do, but it's just not commanded--and for good reason. Most people didn't own Bibles (just a book of the Bible would have cost about a month's wages in the first century), and most people couldn't read em if they did own them. What the Bible does require is regular meditation, which just amounts to a careful pondering of the Scripture truths you have learned. Here are a few implications of this that I would like to have all consider:

1) You don't need to feel like you're sinning if you weren't able to read your bible that morning. Instead, feel bad if you don't think about the truths of Scripture throughout the day. Change of emphasis--shift your guilt where it belongs, and make the adjustments that will bring real change in your life.

2) A person must be able to live a godly life without even owning a Bible--otherwise God would have required first and foremost that all people be taught to read and own bibles. This is not saying that a person can live for one moment without the Word of God. It's our bread. I would love to do an experiment one year, not doing any private reading of the Bible, and making every attempt to regard it as bread like Jesus did. (Amy is scared I would actually do it.)
But how would I listen to it in church if I thought this might be the only time I hear it for the whole week?
How would I listen if I happened to overhear others reading the Bible?
I heard a Chinese-American Christian who was raised in China say that the Chinese underground church knows the Bible far better than typical American Christians do--and most of them don't own a Bible. I think there's something about putting it on our shelves that makes us feel like we've got it in our heads.

3) Devotional meditation can be done in many situations while reading the Bible cannot. Singing is a form of meditation. Do your "devotions" while you vacuum. Why do the commands to be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians) and to let the word of Christ dwell in you richly (Colossians) immediately follow with a command to sing?

4) Finally, I would highly recommend the reading of the Bible--but only as a means to the end of having a meditative, Scripture-filled day. It is not an end in itself, and I know by personal experience that it is too easy to pick it up, put it down, and think the grace will come by checking it off a list.

Of course the greatest fear would be that someone would read my book and wrongly use it to justify their Bible-less life.

No comments: