Monday, December 22, 2008

Harmless Ponies? I don't think so.

I was working on the computer when I overheard my daughter watching a video. It got me thinking about this whole "My Little Pony" product. Am I the only one who's concerned about this? These girl ponies are crazy, and I find at least three lines of fundamental reasons to reject them:

1) Should Amazon nags really be a role-model for my little girl? What happened to all the men ponies? Hasbro appears to be completely infected with "the feminine mystique." I first suspected this when I realized I couldn't buy a G.I. Joe army-wife. The only wives you could have for them had grenades strapped to their shoulders.
2) Aren't these ponies behaving exactly like the meddling women of
1 Timothy 5? Fun and relationship-fixation is not healthy for the soul. I know that if there was a Paul-pony, he would exhort these lasses to settle down, find a mate-pony, and have baby-ponies. Work is good for the pony's soul. I want to see the next line of ponies include a yoke.3) The world has completely bought the myth that says tattoos are a way of expressing your individuality. Seriously, c'mon. There's all kinds of problems with this. You know the verses in Leviticus, so I won't even bother. But more than that, what's wrong with conformity? Isn't there something ungodly about trying to be different from everyone else? God already gave us fingerprints.

"I've got to express my own unique pony personality," says sparkly Cherilee, sporting her new flower tats.

It's sad.

I know I've got other things to worry about, but I think this at least merits starting a Facebook cause page. But at least my daughters won't be playing with the heathen trots this Christmas. They'll have real, fake horses, that teach real virtues.

2 comments:

Smith family said...

This funny-and thought provoking. I mostly agree with you!! Your comment on Lanny blog made me laugh out loud. We are totally praying for yall and your crazy winter weather. Be safe venturing out in such cold weather!!

Carlee said...

I like that you have gone beyond the obvious--Bratz, Barbies, Etc. My girls own 2 ponies, but to them they are just horses to play with their dolls with. That's the beauty of never having television, I suppose.