Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thinking Outside the (Cereal) Box


This week Vons had cereal on sale for $1.50. Naturally, I bought one of each kind. You'd think Santa had just come down the chimney the way my kids looked as I walked in the house after my shopping trip. The kids were beyond excited, especially to have APPLE JACKS!!!!
Of course I didn't let them eat straight Apple Jacks. It's like kiddie crack. They would eat 5 bowls if I let them. I made them mix it with Cheerios. They still wanted seconds. That led to the question of which cereals I would let them mix together. That got me thinking ... hmmm ... teachable moment!! As I whipped out the Sharpie, the breakfast table turned into a one-room-schoolhouse. We checked the sugar content of each cereal, then lined them up in order of sweetness. BTW Selena, it was all differentiated very well-- you would be proud of me!

Turns out raisin bran had the most sugar....who would have guessed!

6 comments:

lmngirls said...

Love it, and I love Apple Jacks. Also checked out cakewrecks, so fun!
Christina

Smith Family said...

Oh my! My kids would love all that cereal. With all those cereal boxes you could make a bunch of homemade journals/books =). Yummy and useful.

sogni dolci said...

That's tricky. I've always wondered how to figure it out. Raisin Bran has the most sugar but natural raisins, without any sugar added, are VERY sweet. So the question is - Which cereal had the most white sugar added to it? Take out the raisins and is Raisin Bran still the sweetest?

Devin said...

Raisin bran would definitely drop in the ranks if the raisins were taken out. Another thing to consider is the fiber working against the sugar. It tends to have a leveling influence. That's why I think my kids aren't as wild after Raisin Bran than after Sugar Smacks.

Anonymous said...

My kids think you are best for having all this cereal. Apple Jacks!! What a super treat!!!

Beth said...

LOL, 'kiddie crack' couldn't agree more :)