Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Yes, I Have My Hands Full, Thank You


Everyone has their opinion on nearly everything, but usually people will keep their opinions to themselves in a public place like, say, the grocery store. All this changes, though, when you have children. For some reason, taking one's children into public gives most people the perceived permission to comment.

It's strange, being the mother of 4 small children. Everyone has something to say about it. Well, not EVERYONE, but usually every other person or so. The most common is, "You have your hands full," which is about as useful a statement as, "You cut your hair!" Another common one is "Are all those yours?" (accompanied by look of utter disbelief). Sometimes I wish I had a shirt that says: Yes, we know about birth control and we chose to have this many children anyway.

It's sad to say but most comments are negative like that, even if all my children are dressed to the nines and behaving like angels. On occasion, someone (usually a sweet elderly lady) has something very encouraging to say such as, "Oh, I had 8 kids within 3 years and it was the best years of my life." My favorite from yesterday's Costco trip is, "I bet you can leap tall buildings in a single bound too!" That was a first. I liked that one.

I try to remind myself that being a spectacle like this is a great opportunity to be a light in this world. God says that children are a blessing and motherhood is honorable. And He's not saying that sarcastically! More on that in a later post...

So all you mothers out there, hold your head high with pride, put on your thick skin, and let your light shine!

4 comments:

Shauna said...

This post made me laugh because I get that too - ALL the time. Or how about "do you have a daycare?" - my reply is always the same "I am very blessed" - even if at the moment I may not feel very blessed - grabbing gum out of their hands, etc. I say that because I am blessed!! We are blessed, God is so good and we live in a fallen world where it more acceptable to have 2 children and shower them with possessions instead of relationships.

Thanks for the laugh, knowing there are those out there getting the same comments! Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

I love this post!!! You can leap building in a single bound and cook fabulously-if that doesn't earn your a cape and a big Super Mom sheild-I don't know what does. YOu are the best!!

Carlee said...

Amen, Amen, Amen! You are superwoman to me, always have been.

Trisha said...

I ran across your comment on diaper diaries and the "hands full" post caught my eye.

Loved what you said. I get this all the time too. I have a 4 year old and 2 year old twins. Maybe people don't know what else to say? I don't know. I do know that if I had a dollar for every time I heard it... :)